|5||- Mariena Mondelli Montandon, The chapel of Annunciation|
|7||- Daniele Pescarmona, Preface for protection activity of Sacro Monte of Ossuccio|
|9||- Daniele Pescarmona, Historical clarifications on Sacro Monte of Ossuccio|
|23||- Daniele Pescarmona, The restoration of 1935|
|33||- Giovanna Mastrotisi and Sonia Segimiro, Final report of the restoration 2002|
The Sacrimonti began to spread in Europe in the late Medieval period and continued to be built until the end of the 19th century. The stormy period, which followed the first crusades, saw a decrease in the flow of pilgrims towards Jerusalem, and around the 7th and 8th centuries the Saracen and Turkish piracy in the Mediterranean discouraged “Europeans” to embark on long journeys by sea.
The Church therefore started to propose alternative destinations to the faithful and to pilgrims yearning to gain merit and indulgence in order to secure a place in Heaven.
San Giacomo di Compostela and Rome, particularly in the Jubilee years, were the most prestigious destinations, but those who were not able to take on long pilgrimages could get round the problem by devotedly visiting Sanctuaries which held relics considered to be important, or by climbing in prayer to the Sacrimonti, realistic reproductions of Jesus’s journey on the Sacred Way in Jerusalem.
Small ornate chapels with simple paintings or bas-relief, or rich chapels with complex representations of the ordeals of Christ - often with life-size statues - allowed the people to relive and meditate on the evangelical steps, which accompany faithful Christians towards a vision of the Resurrection of Christ and their own Salvation.